The 2018 – 2019 President of International Inner Wheel is from Sydney, Australia. Chris Kirby, from the Inner Wheel Club of Sydney Inner West, became International President at a special meeting at IIW Headquarters, Altrincham, UK, in June. The theme chosen by IIW President Chris is Empower and Evolve
Learn more about the IWA Executive and District Chairmen in the latest edition of the IWA Magazine here
23 June 2018
District Membership Chairman Dallice Robins and members of District A54 are to be congratulated – with the IWC of Wollundry being chartered just two months ago, this is the second new club to be chartered in the district this year. Congratulations to all involved and a big IW welcome to all members of the IWC of Corowa Districts.
The beautiful ‘Gift of Friendship’ Rose is now available to order direct from Treloar Roses. Click here for more information including ordering details. Treloar Roses will donate $1 from the sale of each rose to the Inner Wheel Australia National Project, Cord Blood Research.
Read all the latest news from across the country here!
Inner Wheel District A53 provided funds to equip the new Birthing Centre in the recently constructed Hospital at Jibajibe in Nepal.
The Hospital is located in the remote Rasuawa District to the north-west of Kathmandu and sits on a mountain-top, which is accessed by 53 miles of very poor roads. The building was funded by Rotary and built by the High Himalayan Community Project.
Inner Wheel District A53 (Sydney and surrounds) recently provided funds to equip the new Birthing Centre with beds, cupboards, general supplies, etc. and medical equipment (steriliser, hand held ultrasound, suction equipment, humidicrib) together with a backup generator. Women can now have their babies in relative safety and comfort (versus the buffalo shed).
PDC Wendy Wonson (IWC West Harbour secretary) and her daughter recently visited the hospital. Wendy was very moved by the presentation ceremony and the wall plaque and the clear joy of the staff at having a well equipped hospital to look after mums and babies in a way that was not possible before.
Thanks go to Inner Wheel District A53, High Himalayan Community Projects and other donors.
Telka Williams MBE, Member at Large from Alice Springs, Northern Territory, has received the prestigious Margarette Golding Award. The award was presented by International Inner Wheel
President Dr Kapila Gupta at the Inner Wheel Australia Conference in Lismore in October 2017. The award is recognition for many years of community service –
- Long term commitment to the citizens of Alice Springs, white, indigenous and disabled.
- Long serving member and volunteer of Red Cross from her junior days, serving as President for 13 years.
- Started the Meals on Wheels unit and worked tirelessly for this programme and now a recipient of this service.
- Telka worked and lobbied for the establishment of a special school for children with disabilities and later started the Bindi Centre to provide opportunities for older people with disabilities within the community. The Bindi Incorporated website now proudly states “In the heartland of Central Australia lies Bindi Inc a cross cultural organisation providing opportunities for all people with disabilities for over 32 years”.
- In her position of matron of the Alice Springs gaol, she enhanced the lives of the indigenous women prisoners by teaching them to cook and sew.
- In 1977 Telka was made Member of the Order of the British Empire
- Telka continues her support of these organisations to this day and still manages to travel from Central Australia to most IWA functions.
Read all the latest news! IWA Magazine Winter 2017
Congratulations to Patti Stafford, member of the Inner Wheel Club of Wangaratta, A61, on being awarded a Margarette Golding Award. IWA President Marilyn said, “It was a privilege to be asked to present this honour to Patti, we are very proud of her and her service.”
This award was given “In recognition of lifelong, selfless dedication and unstinting service to the local and wider community over a variety of areas – youth, the aged, sport, business and community promotion.”