Telka Williams MBE, Member at Large from Alice Springs, Northern Territory, has received the prestigious Margarette Golding Award. The award was presented by International Inner Wheel
President Dr Kapila Gupta at the Inner Wheel Australia Conference in Lismore in October 2017. The award is recognition for many years of community service –
- Long term commitment to the citizens of Alice Springs, white, indigenous and disabled.
- Long serving member and volunteer of Red Cross from her junior days, serving as President for 13 years.
- Started the Meals on Wheels unit and worked tirelessly for this programme and now a recipient of this service.
- Telka worked and lobbied for the establishment of a special school for children with disabilities and later started the Bindi Centre to provide opportunities for older people with disabilities within the community. The Bindi Incorporated website now proudly states “In the heartland of Central Australia lies Bindi Inc a cross cultural organisation providing opportunities for all people with disabilities for over 32 years”.
- In her position of matron of the Alice Springs gaol, she enhanced the lives of the indigenous women prisoners by teaching them to cook and sew.
- In 1977 Telka was made Member of the Order of the British Empire
- Telka continues her support of these organisations to this day and still manages to travel from Central Australia to most IWA functions.
Read all the latest news! IWA Magazine Winter 2017
Congratulations to Patti Stafford, member of the Inner Wheel Club of Wangaratta, A61, on being awarded a Margarette Golding Award. IWA President Marilyn said, “It was a privilege to be asked to present this honour to Patti, we are very proud of her and her service.”
This award was given “In recognition of lifelong, selfless dedication and unstinting service to the local and wider community over a variety of areas – youth, the aged, sport, business and community promotion.”
Read all the latest news here
Nona Dart, member of the Inner Wheel Club of Bathurst, NSW, has been awarded the prestigious Margarette Golding Award “In recognition of highly commendable and long term personal service and commitment to others across a variety of organisations in the Bathurst community”.
The award was presented to Nona by IWA Past President and National Representative Kay Morland at a luncheon held in her honour in Bathurst on 9 November, 2016
Four Cord Blood Research Grants were awarded at the 2016 Conference Gala Dinner in October, bringing the total number of grants awarded by Inner Wheel Australia to 42, with a value of $2,408,462.
To learn more about the researchers and the work being done as a result of the Inner Wheel Australia grants, please click here
To learn more about Inner Wheel Australia’s involvement with Cord Blood Research, click here
If you would like to donate to Inner Wheel Australia’s National Project, Cord Blood Research, please contact the Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read all the latest Inner Wheel news here!